Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:21:53 -0400

In a message dated 10/10/2012 6:10:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

As I was  driving back through Appomattox yesterday, it occurred to me that
while the  big picture was the surrender and effective end of the Civil War
took place  there. What happened then? The Union Army had administrative
control of its  troops because they were in the army and it was responsible
for their care and  feeding. But what of the CSA folks who had no effective
governmental unit to  take care of them and to provide them transport home. If
I remember correctly,  the US Army fed the, but then what? How did these
thousands upon thousands of  people (not just Lee's Army folks, but the entire
CSA contingent all over the  South at the various surrender points) get
home? One foot in front of the  other? Train transport? Was there anything
organized for them by the USA?  Also, for the former POW's, once released, how
were they able to return  home?

Any info for a thought provoked by driving by in comfort on a  paved road
seeing the open fields and signage would be gratefully  received.

Lyle Browning

Lyle........there is one book worth reading, however, most of it  deals
with the Confederate Gov't itself.  The title is "An Honorable  Defeat" written
by William C. Davis.  Published in 2001.
As far as the enlisted..........one foot in front of the  other.  Most, if
not all of the South's railroads were  destroyed.

Joe Mc