From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:41:00 -0400
On Apr 3, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Vejnar Robert J. wrote:

> I'm sorry, but no matter how adamantly or passionately Mr. Browning
> argues for digitization, it is still based on incomplete information
> and
> faulty reasoning.
I'm sorry too, but for very different reasons. Digitization is the way
that images and ultimately searchable text will be preserved for the
future so that they may be used, as opposed to merely preserved for
their own sake, which is an entirely separate and not germane to this
argument, issue. It will happen, probably within 20 years, presuming
the absence of catastrophe.

For instance, I can see the Bayeux Tapestry via high-enough resolution
scans to enjoy it, be able to use it as never before and above all, do
it all from my computer without compromising the original by breathing
on it or otherwise subjecting it to potential contaminants.

The long view of preservation is decidedly dicey. The best way to
ensure long-term preservation is via multiple copies in multiple
media. Historically we have had Aramaic documents translated into
Greek, into Arabic and into English, all of which were copies of now
lost originals. I would really like to see the day when all the
world's texts and historical images were on a single drive the size of
my thumbnail, accessible for everyone.

> Part of my duties involves educating students.  When I instruct
> students
> and they refuse to listen, all I can do is give them an "F" and move
> on.
> I guess this is what I'll have to do in this case.
And the guy who proposed FedEx in class was also flunked by his prof.
I had a prof who flunked me on a paper and had the damned audacity to
publish what I put forth as his own idea several years later. So we
agree to disagree on whether thinking about how to accomplish
something versus regurgitative learning is the more appropriate
technique to inform.

>  If individuals
> refuse to educate themselves on the subject then there is no point in
> continuing the discussion.  Read the professional literature on the
> subject and you will see that you are indeed wrong, Mr. Browning.  The
> professionals in the field have determined that - at least for now -
> the
> way to preserve materials is through microfilming.  Digitization is
> fine
> for making documents accessible,
I do believe digitization was what this whole thread was about, given
that the documents are themselves preserved and that microfilm already
exists. The issue was that there was an appearance of marching
resolutely backwards rather than forwards.

> but it is NOT the answer to long-term
> preservation.
It will be, according to the breadth of what I read and see. Hang
around for another 20 years and let's see who's right. What was it
that Bill Gates said about nobody needing more than 640K of RAM?
Professional infallibility, I think not.

> And chiding the very fine folks who work at the Library of Virginia
> for
> exercising their best professional judgment is not the answer either.
> They have a difficult job as it is trying to preserve and make
> accessible the commonwealth's history.  And when the General Assembly
> cuts the LVAs budget and/or staff, an already difficult job becomes
> even
> more so.
Apart from your totally misreading my comments about the map project,
the folks I talked with at the time at LVA were at least as annoyed as
I was about having the project killed for external budgetary cuts. I
have at no time broad-brush chided the LVA folks. I have in fact
questioned a particular decision and such discussion is generally
useful, if only for determining why decisions were made. I have found
too many decisions made absent healthy discussion are harmful in the
long run and would prefer to air out the issues.

> When archaeologists do as much reading and work in the archives
> field as
> I have, maybe then I'll listen to what they have to say.  Until then,
> I'm not interested in their opinions about archival preservation.
I see the drawbridges are up and no further confusion by facts is in
order so I will also withdraw.

Lyle Browning