From:
Holly Ulrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 11:10:19 -0500
We went to Jamestown yesterday.  Weather was pretty good, but hot, until
later in the afternoon when clouds took over.  Parking was fairly easy since
we received our tickets in the mail with a recommended parking lot location.
We arrived before lunch and immediately went to the Settlement which is also
the main shuttle bus location.  Going through the galleries there took
almost 2 hours.  Then went to see the fort and the ships.  The only place to
eat lunch was there or across the street at the Anniversary Park, where you
have to exchange money for "scrip" in order to purchase any food.  Beware:
the cafe at the Settlement was packed with hardly any extra tables for the
crowds.

Our next stop was Historic Jamestowne where we saw the marvelous Archaearium
and then heard the welcome speeches by the Governor and other dignitaries.
My main complaint is that Jamestown still shuts down at 5 PM this weekend.
I couldn't believe they would not remain open later, so we missed the
Glasshouse and gift shop where I could have done some serious "damage". We
did stop at one of the USPS trucks where we purchased first day Jamestown
stamps.  By 6:00 we were too tired to even set foot in Anniversary Park,
which is mostly musical performances and a few exhibits which were not
compelling enough to us in their descriptions to warrant crossing the road.

Probably the coolest sight I saw all day was a group of Poles wearing
"Polish Pioneers in America" t-shirts.

We decided to go home via the Jamestown-Scotland ferry which is under heavy
security - we had to stop and open our trunk for inspection.  Had a lovely
waterfront supper in Surry at Rocky Bottom Grill on Gray's Creek (take bug
spray).

Holly Ulrich