From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 05:47:27 -0500
Wow!!! This does look very interesting!!!! Tom Bannister, where are you
now that we need you!!!!!  I think I recall that poles and chains in
early Virginia had different lengths as time went by....  16 1/2 feet
sticks in my mind as one length of a pole.  I think that the acre has
stayed constant over time (43,560 square feet), and I have used that in
one or two cases of a regularly shaped polygon to "back into" the number
of feet represented in a pole.  I am guessing that the compass points
are probably 1/64 of a circle (5.62 degrees), but that is a real SWAG.

Randy Cabell