From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:32:35 +0000
I would like to add my strong agreement to the wisdom of Professors Finkelman and Gutzman.  A basic problem with Wikipedia is that no one signs their names to their contributions.  As a consequence, no one is professionally accountable for any errors of fact or interpretation.  Contrast this with excellent academic reference resources like the Dictionary of American Biography, or the Dictionary of Virginia Biography.
All best,
Kevin

Kevin Gutzman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I have to agree with Paul Finkelman about Wikipedia.  Whatever the current trendy theories about the wisdom of crowds/insight of wikis may be, Wikipedia is notoriously unreliable.  In general, anyone can change any essay at any time and in any way.  You have only to consider controversial organizations and then look at their Wikipedia essays to see that people carefully scrub Wikipedia in the name of all kinds of axe-grinding; while that certainly can also be said of academic publications, you're far less apt to find errors of basic facts in academic publications than in Wikipedia entries.

Kevin R. C. Gutzman, J.D., Ph.D.
Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Department of History
Western Connecticut State University
Author, James Madison and the Making of America (New York:  St. Martin’s Press, 2012);
The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution (Washington:  Regnery Publishing, 2007)
KevinGutzman.com