From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 19:04:25 -0400
It is probable that practices differed between the eighteenth and
nineteenth centuries and even between different times in those centuries.
As Henry noted, plantation practices and urban practices were no doubt
different as well. So I don't think that it is possible to generalize.
However, there may have been locations that were preferred by the enslaved
as opposed to slave owners, which is another consideration.

Martha Katz-Hyman
Curator
Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
Williamsburg, VA