From:
paul finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:29:29 -0600
This seems to be true; we might remember that slavery has been used for almost every kind of work; furthermore, even without an agricultural base, slavery would have provided the huge number of domestic servants necessary for urban households in the early 20th century.  There is no reason to think that slavery
would not be profitable for industiralization as well; in fact, had slavery continued southern industry might have developed more rapidly in the late 19th century.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law