Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 15:34:50 -0400
In September, 1863, First Corps under Longstreet was separated from the
Army of Northern Virginia and sent to Tennessee to reinforce Bragg. It
participated in the battle of Chickamauga. Longstreet was ordered back to
Virginia in April 1864. This is recounted in considerable detail in vol. 3
Lee's Lieutenants.

Richard E. Dixon

Virginia

> In a message dated 9/13/2008 3:09:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> A student asked me this question and a quick scan of my little Civil War
> library did not turn up an easy answer.   Did Virginia forces fight
anywhere
> outside of the Old Dominion during the Civil War?  I'm not referring to
the forces
> that invaded Maryland and Pennsylvania or served in the Confederate navy,
but
> rather to whether or not men were sent out to the west or to the deep
south.
> Our class was discussing soldier motivations and it was noted that
Virginians
> were highly engaged because they were encountering the enemy on their own
soil
> -- hence th question: would they (did they?) fight show the same
engagement
> outside of their home state.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Kiracofe
>

> Yes.
>
> The 29th and 54th Virginia Infantry were part of Humphrey Marshall's Army
of
> Eastern Kentucky in late 1861 and early 1862.  The 54th and 63rd Virginia
> Infantry were assigned to Reynolds Brigade of the Army of Tennessee from
September
> 1863 until the end of the war.  In addition the Nottoway Light Artillery
also
> served in Georgia.  The 34th and 59th Virginia Infantry served in the
> Charleston, SC and Florida in 1863 and part of 1864.
>
> As for the intensity, the 54th and 63rd saw some nasty combat at
Chickamauga,