From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:09:46 -0400
In trying to find that still elusive pre-1800 plat of Richard Adams
Mill Valley, I'm still working on the title chain for a city block
north of Broad in Shockoe Valley. Typically and serendipitously, one
notices things that have nothing to do with the project at hand.

In the Land Tax Records, in the teens and twenties of the 19th
century, there is a notation at the end of each year about a set of
properties set aside by William Jones where he willed land for his
"Negroes". In the one year I counted, there were 32 parcels, ranging
in size from 9.5 to 32 acres. Each person had a first name early on
but no last name. Later, it appears that all took the surname Jones.

Have any of you any information about where Jonesville, as it was
called in one tabulation, was located and what happened to the people
and lands, if anything?

Lyle Browning, RPA