From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 06:42:20 -0800
     Here's link to John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library   http://research.history.org/JDRLibrary.cfm
  Click on Virginia Gazette Index which is listed on the right under Ref. Resources.
  Click on letter of surname (in this case, G for Gilmore) and make your way to the list of names.Scroll down to William Gilmore, and note the pg. 4 Col 1.

  People report having trouble with the images, and maybe this will help explain how to use them:  When the image comes up, it will flash in large size, then shrink immediately. You have to wait for the Expander to come up on the bottom right and click on that to enlarge the copy so you can read it. The Expander can act reluctant to be of use, but persistency will pay off.

   The ad William placed is in Col.1
  This ad was submitted by William from Augusta Co. March 24, 1769. In it, he explains that William Culbertson was killed in the late the Indian war in the year 1763. At the time of his death, he owed money to William Gilmore, and the county government allowed Gilmore to be the administrator of Culbertson's estate in order to be reimbursed for the debt. In the ad, Gilmore notifies any heirs or relatives that there is more than enough to discharge the debt owed him.

  The ad proves among other things, that William Gilmore, son of John and Agness, did not die in either the 1759 or 1763 Indian attack at Kerr's Creek (as reported by Kerr's Creek historians).  It also points out a misspelling or transcription error in William Culbertson's name which is reported as Culberts in the Scotch Irish Chronicles: Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County 1745-1800 by Lyman Chalkley,  "Sept 2, 1763 James and John Gilmore qualify admrs. Thomas Gilmore. Wm. Gilmore qualified admr. of Wm. Culberts."

  By the way, when I read your query, the wording sounded familiar, and it took me minute to realize you used a direct quote from my own Gilmore genealogy report that is online.  I'm glad someone read it, but I would have preferred knowing who wrote it without having to puzzle out why it sounded so familiar; senior moments, you know.

  For info re. Thomas Rowland, his rifle and referral to George Washington, see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Eqvarizona/rowlandrifle.html

  More questions about Rowland or Gilmore's?  Write direct and I'll try and answer.

  Joanne

marsha moses <[log in to unmask]> wrote:     Whoa....what was the ad by William Gilmore in 1763? That is the date of
what I call the 1763 Cornstalk Event. I am thinking that there was a
son named William of the Gilmore family.

Kerr's Creek Massacre: John and his wife, Agness Anderson Gilmore were
killed by Shawnees in the first Kerr's Creek Raid of 19 October 1759 and
their possessions were plundered. Two of their children still at home
were also killed, but their names are unknown. There are many different
versions of the Indian attacks in that area, including the names of
those involved. Even reports written following the events contradict
each other. From the court records, we do know that the attack in which
John and Agness were killed was before November 1759, and their son
Thomas died during an attack shortly before September 1763. Below, see
some excerpts from court records following attacks at Kerr's Creek.

And I continue to be interested in the Rowland family...Would you please
tell me how to find the articles that you talk about in the below?

marsha in wv