From:
"John P. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:42:39 -0600
John Philip Adams

Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion of research and writing about Virginia history
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Craig R. Scott
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 5:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Rolfe vs. Rosse

Interesting information on the extinction of English surnames can be found
at:

http://homepages.newnet.co.uk/dance/webpjd/intro/big.htm

In a nutshell within 30 generations 85 percent of the English surnames have
become extinct.

That said in the 1881 British census there are more than 200 entries for
Rolfe (or its vairiations).

One surname that I am interested in is Poythress appearing in Virginia about
30 years after Rolfe. It has only 85 entries in the 1881 British census.
Wonder which will become extinct first.

By 1881, by exampe the surname Pennypurse was extinct, as was Barlaycorn.

Not finding a surname in an English surname book is not indicative of
anything other than you have not looked in enough books or that the authors
of the surnames books did not consider the surname to be worth their time.

You will find the entry for Rolfe in Charles Wareling Barsley's English
Surnames: Their Sources and Signifcations (1898, reprint Heritage Books,
1990).

You will also find and entry for Rolfe in Mark Antony Lower's Patronymica
Britannica: A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom (1860,
reprint Heritage Books, 1996)

C.

Craig R. Scott, CG
President & CEO