From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 16:44:53 EDT
In a message dated 5/7/2003 1:33:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I think we all need a reference for peanut butter in Anglo-Saxon times. A
> rare ms in the Library of Virginia, maybe?
>
> John Weiss

Well, all I could I fnd was the following website that says peanut butter was
invented in 1880 by a Dr. looking for a bland high protein food.
http://www.peanutbutter.com/history.asp

Regarding Anglo-Saxon times, the peanut is an "American" plant, probably
Brazil/Peru, which like the tomato defies immediate categorization.   I found
this online on its history, which indicates it is thought slaves brought
plants, or they came with as cargo.  http://www.aboutpeanuts.com/infohis.html

I make no claims as to the reliability of either website.  The first is a
Skippy website (despite it's generic domain name, etc.).

Despite the fat content, peanut butter has alot more nutritional value that
other edibles in that fat range.

I asked my mother (87, grew up in rural Missouri), about buttermaker, which
elicited churn and lengthy discussion already mentioned here regarding
buttermilk.  Saturday memory growing up (if my mother was not at home) is my
father eating sardines, sauerkraut and buttermilk.   I can assure you as
children it came a matter for teasing.  Of the three, sardines are the only
item I have come to appreciate, though a cold sauerkraut salad can be tasty.

Janet (Baugh) Hunter