From:
Tom Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:37:15 -0400
Assume the usual caveats, i.e., some folks did it one way and some folks
did it another: Courts issued "road orders" upon the request or petition
of the public.  The road order usually designated the span of the road
(from A to B) and identified the Overseers, usually a committee of up to
a half dozen or so.  The Overseers, by some authorities, were major
tithables living in proximity or to benefit from the new road.  There
job was to oversee construction and repair of that particular stretch of
road.  The overseers received authority to conscript labor from militia
aged men in the vicinity of the road to be constructed.  Men 16 to 60,
by an English law of 1555 owed the King six days of work on the roads
per year.  My impression is that Surveyors and Overseers were synonymous
terms but I would be delighted to learn otherwise.  The law of 1555
specified that the roads would be 10 ft wide and, judging by the many
remnants to be seen in VA and the Carolinas, the militiamen seldom gave
one inch more.  There was, apparently, considerable tension between the
Labouring Tithables and the ruling elites, particularly in frontier
zones where the former settled land that looked like prime road land
only to have the primary road located on a poorer ridge or ford owing to
the political pull of a Johnny-come-lately.  Herman Husband identified
excess road labor and class stresses there associated with as causes for
the War of the Regulation in NC.

tom

--
T.R. Magnuson