From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:46:04 -0500
The first shiploads brought pigs with them, and I am sure the fat was
used for flavoring [and cooking], as well as that "fat appeal" that
humans crave. Wasn't pork so used back in England? Interesting that
they had a communal meal. I have read that such communal meals,
family get-togethers, pot lucks at church, etc. are so widely
practiced in the south, but not so much so elsewhere in the US. The
cafeteria style restaurant chain Morrisons was so successful in the
south because it was more an accepted thing in the south. In other
parts of the country, so I've read, such styles are less popular and
seem to connote some sort of cheap or impoverished way of eating. But
in the south, it was normal, a social and communal way to eat. The
roots of that would be an interesting study.

I had a book of recipes and meals from the James I era, it was so
heavy on meats, some fruits usually prepared some sugary way, a few
breads [they didn't seem very inventive in this regard], and little
in the way of greens or veggies. A "sallat" was mostly what we'd call
weeds. But it was probably more nutritious than iceberg lettuce and
pale, plastic grocery store tomatoes.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone