From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:07:53 -0500
Thank you, Professor Hardwick.  I could not have put it more
clearly nor as eloquently as you have.
  All I would add here is that since slaves were conceived to serve
their "masters," contemporary propriety about what may be
discussed in public, should not disincline us from speculating on
all of the "services" slaves were coerced into performing in earlier
centuries.  We could all benefit by rereading Winthrop Jordan
magisterial White Over Black, where he examines the newspaper
discussions of interracial sexuality in colonial South Carolina to
make the point that Charleston society appeared similar to that of
the British Caribbean.  That the Richmond papers did not jest in
quite this way, does not convince that Virginia slaveowners were
fundamentally different than their aristocratic peers in Carolina.
  Of course, slavery is a fact.  But it is not a fact like tulips bloom
in April (in CT., but in March in VA) or hammers usually have iron
or steel heads.  It is a fact like the French Revolution or the great
Influenza epidemic of 1918-1919:  a fact with immense and far
reaching consequences.

Harold S. Forsythe