From:
Joe Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:29:48 -0700
I know that you said that you were looking for a book
on Gettysburg, but have you thought about historical
fiction?  There are some pretty good books about
Lincoln, although he may later have to “unlearn” some
of the tidbits that he picks up.  For a young man that
thinks of reading as a chore associated with homework,
I would think that an introduction beginning with
historical fiction then leading into non-fiction might
be a route to take.  Of course you can take the advice
or leave it.  I teach high school, not elementary.

I was curious about your question.  I know that one of
our former teachers published a book on cortez with a
company called Lucent publishing (I think that they
have been purchased by Gale Publishing) and they had
several good non-fiction books aimed at the upper
elementary students.  I also stumbled on the this
webpage:
http://score.rims.k12.ca.us/score_lessons/special_events/presidents_day/pages/lit.html

Another route that might be interesting for a nine
year old are the ghost stories associated with
Gettysburg.  What nine year old does not like ghosts?
From there, a discussion regarding WHY there are so
many stories or what the importance of the battle is,
etc.  That is how I got hooked on history.