From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 08:39:06 -0700
There was significant opposition to slavery at the founding -- and some was in Va. -- Look at Edward Coles or Robert "Councillor" Carter (or Robert Carter, III as he is also known), or Washington who prepared his slaves, gave them land, and freed them.  But Mr. Trent is also right that there was a huge proslavery argument -- from virtually every pulpit in the South to every Courtroom to every school room.  If anyone wants to see the range of these proslavery arguments, I can (self-servingly) point you to a collection of the primary documents in a small (and inexpensive) paperback:   Paul Finkelman, Defending Slavery (Bedford Books).