From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:08:43 GMT
Paul,
Yes, he was the face of the administration, but he left an impression
that still lingers today. It is the same with the militias, and KKK,
who are the face of those who are in power.

I understand the point you were making, and agree with your premise.

Anita

-- Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Anita. You wrote, "Plecker identified Indians as, "issue", a
derogatory
term. He was not as benign a character as you make him out to be. He
knew
nothing about the racial makeup of Native Americans, except what he
was
told, and what was in the record. You almost make it seem like he was
performing a public service. This is the same thing Hitler did with
the Jews
in Nazi Germany."
-----------

I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression in my posting. Plecker was
monster. But he had a boss who had a boss who had a boss who was the
elected
governor of Virginia and all were obviously pleased with what he was
doing
or they would have fired him. He did not pass the laws he enforced.

The Racial Integrity act and the Sterilization act were passed by the
legislature and signed into law by the governor who presumably had
the
support of most Virginians. Eugenics was taught at a number of
Virginia
universities and UVA was one of the leaders on the subject in the
country.
The main target of the movement was not Indians but African
Americans, Jews,
mental patients and poor whites. Concentrating on Plecker's changing
birth
certificates obscures this.
See http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/05/02/virginia-
eugenics.htm
and http://www.eugenicsarchive.org/html/eugenics/essay8text.html

The fact that "Indians" thought the term "issues" was derogatory
means that
they resented being categorized with African Americans who had been
free
before the Civil War and that they preferred the three caste system
of
white/ Indian and African American because it insulated them from
some of
the effects of Jim Crow. They were not responsible for instituting
Jim Crow
or the caste system, but I get the impression that many of their
modern-day
descendants are horrified that their "Indian" ancestors were treated
like
African Americans. We need to be mindful of the fact that millions of
African Americans were treated like African Americans.

The history of most of the "Indian" families Plecker attacked are on
my
website. Like many tribes recognized by Virginia as Indians, most of
the
families bore the names of African Americans who had been free since
colonial times and lived among the English, owning land, paying
taxes,
appearing in court, etc. One of these tribes, the Monacans, have no
evidence
of a single Indian ancestor. The Nansemond tribe does have one single
Indian
ancestor: the Nansemond Indian woman who married John Bass in 1638.
Tribes
like the Pamunkey, Mattaponi and Chickahominy have well documented
ties with
the free African Americans who lived in the communities surrounding
them,
but they vigorously deny this.

In 1843 the white neighbors of the Pamunkey and Mattaponi sent a
petition to
the legislature saying, "Now the Pamunkys form only a small remnant
of the
population, having so largely mingled with the negro race as to have
obliterated all striking features of Indian extraction. Their land is
now
inhabited by two unincorporated bands of free mulattoes in the midst
of a
large slave holding community." The Pamunkey submitted a counter-
petition in
which they claimed that they were generally of at least half Indian
extraction. No Indian reservation in Virginia had a large enough
population
to have been self-sustaining, and they mixed so freely with the
African
American population, both free and slave, that it appears they did
not share
white Virginian's ideas on race--at least before the threats to force
them
to sell their reservations. Also, well before 1800 nearly all the
Pamunkeys
were related to each other, so they had little choice but to find
marriage
partners outside the reservation.

It is good that Virginians with some Indian ancestry are proud of it,
but
they should also be proud of their African American ancestry as well.

I have some photos of Virginia Indians taken by the Smithsonian about
1900.
http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/photos_Indians.htm

Paul

Easy-to-use, advanced features, flexible phone systems.  Click here for more info.
http://track.netzero.net/s/lc?u=http://tagline.untd.us/fc/Ioyw6ijn2ppcfyC6LdR0ABO8PC5HOOAjAOIb8Sr25cSp5Haej22wkq/