From:
Alexander Pyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2012 22:59:08 -0600
Hi JP,

The slave narratives are on the Library of Congress American Memory website
at http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/snhtml/snhome.html.

These narratives were discussed by the list in March 2007 - the
conversation can be found in the archives at
http://listlva.lib.va.us/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A1=ind0703&L=VA-HIST#81. Jurretta
Heckscher's message on the first (
http://listlva.lib.va.us/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0703&L=VA-HIST&F=&S=&P=2641)
is particularly helpful.

As Juretta noted then, "[f]or a fuller discussion of the reasons why these
narratives cannot be taken at face value, vitally informative though they
can be with skillful interpretation, please see the introductory essay by
Norman Yetman (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/snhtml/snintro00.html),
particularly the sections on:

  "The Limitations of the Slave Narrative Collection: Problems of Memory" (
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/snhtml/snintro14.html)
  "The Limitations of the Slave Narrative Collection: Race and
Representativeness" (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/snhtml/snintro15.html)
  "Should the Slave Narrative Collection Be Used?" (
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/snhtml/snintro16.html)."

v/r,
Alexander Pyle
Ft Collins, Colorado