From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:16:19 -0500
Personally, I think the program is packed full of excellent topics in
many aspects of Virginia History.  There are several sessions to
choose from.  Almost too many!  I noticed several that piqued my
interest.

For my part, the panel on "Material Possessions of Early Virginians"
at which I will present a case study of Belle Isle Plantation in 1839
and 1840 (I was in error in giving the year as 1835), will focus on a
very typical plantation estate and inventory of a well known home and
family in Virginia's Northern Neck.  Of course this includes a great
deal of slave history.  How could it not?

But there is still so, so, so much more than that.  Architecture,
outbuildings, horses, children, grand children, multiple wives,
relations such as the Ball Family, a very detailed inventory with
well over 100 books in the library, a room-by -room, building-by-
building account that really opens up the records to a virtual tour
of a typical upper-class plantation of that time.

I think the program committee is to be thanked for including so many
topics and presenters for this year's Forum.  I look forward to
meeting so many of you in person there.