From:
Camille Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:31:09 -0500
Folks:  A very good pair of sources on the practices of designing and
building in the colonial, early national, and antebellum south are . . .

Catherine Bishir and 3 colleagues, Architects and Builders in North Carolina
[is specific to NC, but conclusions are applicable elsewhere] and . . .

Catherine Bishir, Southern Built a collection of essays she has written and
published over the past 20 years.

Of particular use to those interested in a common [though not exclusive] way
of organizing a construction project in the early 1800s is her essay on
Jacob Holt, a builder active in NC and VA.

Yes, blacks both free and enslaved were involved, but most "architects" were
also builders and site supervisors as well . . .

Hoping this helps.
Camille Wells