From:
"Levy, Suzanne S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:09:46 -0500

From: Holland, Claudia
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 8:01 PM
To: Levy, Suzanne S.
Subject: RE: Oscar James Dunn - 1st or 2nd Reg. New Orleans

Hi Suzanne,

This person could contact librarians (e.g., Judy Bolton) at LSU in the
Louisiana & Lower Mississippi Valley Collection (e.g.,
http://lsu.louislibraries.org/uhtbin/cgisirsi/X/0/123/) as well as in
the Historic New Orleans Collection to see if either of these places
have materials attributed to OJD, although I don't see much online.
There are primary materials published in various government docs,
according to the ANB
http://www.libarts.ucok.edu/history/faculty/roberson/course/1483/suppl/c
hpXVI/Oscar%20James%20Dunn.%20%20Black%20Reconstructionist.htm.  Dunn's
letters to Grant apparently are held in the National Archives.  Has this
person looked in the NARA or LC catalogs?  Here's an entry for a litho
of Dunn held at LC:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?pp/ils:@field(NUMBER+@band(cph+3g0
5947)).

This should get the person started, anyway.  Any good Civil War or
Reconstruction histories of Louisiana should include info on OJD.

Hope this helps,

Claudia