From:
Mark Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:15:04 -0400
Paul,

Rather than just write ... (or rationale?) .... in: <Of course another
reason (or rationale?) might have been fear that their slaves would suffer
even more if they had their "freedom" -- and a lack of their former paternal
oversight, care and discipline.> as I wrote...

it would have been clearer if I'd added additional words (such shown in CAPS
below)
(or rationale IN THEIR OWN MINDS FOR NOT RELEASING THEIR SLAVES?)

Shows that one should not hurriedly assume that readers will read into "(or
rationale?)" the human tendency to create self-serving rationales.  Of
course in some cases such a fear would have been quite justified - not a
self-serving rationale - based upon the normal differences in human genetics
as well as the differences in life experiences and education.  In other
cases such fear would be clearly inappropriate.  In many cases it would
probably have been a gray area without a clear consequence, thus somewhat
justifying such a fear.

Mark
PS - Before I retired I once received a "Bureaucrat's Buck-slip" with some
humorous check-off blocks - one of which was: "This is my decision - develop
supporting rationale."  No doubt some readers have suspected that some
decisions they have seen were sometimes justified by support developed in
such a manner, eh?