From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:21:53 -0500
> [Fort Monroe as a location for the slavery museum]
> strikes me as a truly inspired idea.  Thanks so much for bringing it to
> our attention, Steve (and for all your dedicated work to save, preserve,
> and celebrate Fort Monroe). How can those of us who are residents of
> Virginia advocate this proposal?
> --Jurretta Heckscher

Thank you, Jurretta, and since you ask, there really is something people can
do: write letters to the editors of newspapers that carry stories about the
failing Fredericksburg vision, especially when those stories contain
conjecture about alternative locations. Please note, by the way, that if
we're right that Fort Monroe is a national treasure with international
significance in the history of liberty, it needs advocacy by people outside
Virginia too. The Feb. 28 Richmond Times-Dispatch opinion piece that Melinda
Skinner cited appears at:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/columnists_news/article/MIKE28_20090227-223126/218089/ .
The Feb. 26 piece that Brent Tarter quoted, "Shockoe Bottom considered for
slavery museum," appears at
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/SLAV26_20090225-222502/216111/ .
For reference, Scott Butler's July 2008 Virginian-Pilot op-ed (the one that
I quoted in full earlier) appears at
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/07/fort-could-house-national-slavery-museum .
ALSO: Anybody who wants to understand why Jurretta thinks this is important
might want to watch the moving, 27-minute documentary created by the Norfolk
PBS station. It's easily viewed online:
http://wmstreaming.whro.org/whro/ftmonroe/ftmonroe.asf . In my view anybody
who cares at all about Virginia history absolutely must invest this 27
minutes.