From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:34:33 -0500
To Bob and All,

  I see where you are going with this argument and I agree with
much of the trajectory, but...
  This question of the nature of the states has to be discussed with
precise specificity as to time.  The US is not a single regime but a
series of at least three;  one might argue four, with one
commencing after Appomattox.  The first regime, that which
declared independence, was the regime under the Second
Continental Congress.  It is important to remember that
independence was declared by a UNANIMOUS vote of state
delegations to that Congress.  If the Continental Congress indeed
was sovereign, it exercised its sovereignty in a peculiar manner.  It
proposed to consider independence, but adopted rules that would
have allowed Rhode Island or Georgia to veto it.
  The second regime was under the Articles of Confederation (1781-
1788).  Under that constitution, the states were declared to be
sovereign.  Jean Boudin and subsequent thinkers on the meaning
of sovereignty were in agreement that sovereignty could not be
divided because it was a kind of supremacy.  If the states were
sovereign than they were independent, choosing only to ally
through a national government.  One might say that in the 1780s
we were the united States, while under the Constitution we became
the United States.
  Clearly, by omission and the monumental supremacy clause in
Article VI on the Constitution, union under our present higher law is
very different than anything that proceeded it.  Interestingly, it was
Virginian John Marshall, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (1801-
1836) who defended national supremacy and state subordination
against all comers:  New Englanders as well as Southerners.
  In one of the Fairfax land claims cases, can't recall the name but
it was decided in 1813, Marshall laid out that Virginia had been free
to seize British owned land in 1776, as it was sovereign, but since
this seizure had not been "completed" before the 1790s, such
action was now blocked by the Constitution itself and by Jay's
Treaty, which guaranteed British property rights.

Harold