From:
Anne Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 15:06:38 +0000
From Anne Evans - Descendant/Researcher Burton/Payne/Harrison/Fearn families

Note regarding newspaper article -

No bones found at potential industrial in Danville

The recent articles in the Richmond Dispatch and the Danville Register and Bee newspapers about the slave graves recently found on the old Fearn Plantation that was “rediscovered” in Danville   - contain a number of fallacies. Unfortunately, I am unable to address all of these errors and omissions of facts in this email. I am wondering how can we get the city of Danville to care more about our opinions and issues and how to stop seemingly wrong and deceiving information from spreading. I wonder if folks on this list serve have encountered these problems?

We want to find positive ways to address the issues…but we may be running out of time and choices. Those of us that love historical things are being pitted (and portrayed in a bad light) against folks wanting more jobs in the area (represented as knowing what is the best way to do things).

Most Fearn descendants/researchers have to rely on a few newspaper articles instead of official reports. Regrettably these newspaper articles have had many errors and misleading statements. I realize the city is not entirely to blame since newspapers have limited time and space to devote to historical items.

While Danville officials seem to be putting out some incorrect and perhaps very limited information about the site - some of the descendants/researchers (from both the white families and slave families) are trying to get copies of the actual “reports” from the city. These folks are very interested in the history of the entire site and the numerous prominent families associated with the site. What is also disheartening – after trying to work with the officials for almost a year – just days before Christmas – the officials have denied Fearn descendants/researchers a chance to review the reports.

Several families have owned the historic plantation, including Wynne, Fearn and Brodnax families.   In 1858 John W. Brodnax sold the plantation to Azariah Graves Walters. The Walters family owned the plantation for over 100 years. It was sold in auction after the death of his grandsons Edmund Richardson Walters (b. 1873) and Azariah Graves Walters (b. 1871).

Since the early 1960's Danville officials were interested in the land for industry as it was so close to the Dan River. Apparently the city had little or no interest in the historical ruins or graves on this site or in the nearby historic Wynne’s Falls area. This area was settled by some of Danville’s earliest white settlers. This history is significant not only to the region but noteworthy to all Virginians.   Many of these settlers and their descendants are well known and respected around the world.

As a descendant and a researcher, I recently sent an email to Jeremy Stratton, director of economic development for The Danville Industrial Development Authority, asking for any news about the old Fearn plantation and how I could get copies of the new reports.   His reply was that “he first needed verifiable proof that I am a distant relative,” and stated that “there were no bones on the site.”

I replied, asking what kind of verifiable proof.   His answer was “mitochondrial testing of course.”  I do not think it may be legal for the city of Danville to deny descendants/researchers copies of the reports, summaries and comprehensive, done by the Louis Berger Group and other consultants. And to require DNA results in order to get these reports – I think is outrageous.

Danville continues to promote the statement “there are no bones found on the site” – however only a small number of grave shafts were sampled within the “slave” cemetery on the 158 acre site. There could be other grave sites where some of the other plantation owners may have buried their white family members. Also it is highly likely Thomas Fearn, Sr. (1745-1805) is buried on that site, and perhaps a son John and a daughter Isabella.

Would the Danville officials...feel differently about the Fearn Plantation ...if they descended from the Fearn slaves?   If their family history had been ignored for generations?

I appreciate any suggestions you might have regarding these issues.

Thanks,

Anne Evans

LINK TO ARTICLE -

http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_sova/news/article_ef9a4222-48ad-11e2-b5df-0019bb30f31a.html