From:
"Julienne, Mari (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:59:34 -0400
The 1860 mortality, industrial, and agricultural censuses do include
1859 data. The only point I'm trying to make is that the statement about
the census being taken in 1859 was made because the conference
participants were supposed to only discuss events that happened before
1860 (Americans in 1859 didn't have the 1860 census to look at); that
probably does not come through in the published transcript:
On page 15 of America on the Eve of the Civil War (Edward L. Ayers and
Carolin R. Martin, eds., University of Virginia Press, 2010) the reader
notes that the 1860 census may have taken place a year earlier.  In the
opening paragraph of Chapter 1, Professor Ayers, leading the discussion,
states:  "It strikes me that these 1850s have been pretty interesting
times.  What do you think is going to leap out from the census that is
being taken for the country?  It will later be known as the 1860 census,
but it was actually taken in 1859."

I am not making any reference to the politics of census taking.