From:
Patricia Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:51:58 -0500
If you look through the first few volumes of Henings, you will see that
the laws concerning Indians were re-written over and over, (a recital of
which I won't attempt here) throughout the 17th and 18th centuries.  I
quote from Helen Rountree's _Pocahontas's People_, "The King William
Personal Property Tax Books show several Pamunkeys, both men and women,
as slaveowners in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.  These people
owned only one [African-American] slave, the exception being John
Langston (in 1787 only)."  A perusal of the tax records, which are held
by the LVA, confirm her assertion.

If I may be subjective for one moment only, it is my heartfelt wish that
all subscribers (not just the few who currently stand as role-models)
would check their facts, and make sure their commentaries are based on
accurate accounts rather than opinions or what they "have heard
somewhere."  Most of the folks on the list don't have the time or
inclination to plow through the email feuds that show up so often.

Thanks,
Pat

Patricia Ferguson Watkinson, Ph.D.
Archives Research Services