From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:13:19 -0400
I was not aware of plans for the 225th anniversary, but I whole heartedly support them.  My family and I were honored to be a part of the 200th as members of the MUSICK OF TURKEY RUN FARM, and it was one of the high points of our family.   The extended  Cabell family also met there in October of 1981 and celebrated the event, since as Scott Smith points out that my GG Grandfather William Cabell, Jr., and indeed a gaggle of other Cabells and their kin, served in the siege of Yorktown.

My wife and I have just returned from a weekend in Williamsburg, ostensibly to get a jump on celebrating the quadracentennial of Jamestowne.  With the exception of one 85 minute DVD about Williamsburg, Jamestowne and Yorktown (which I eagerly bought), I came away with a feeling the three organizations which run things there live in worlds of their own.  And that is sad.  So much more should be done to utilize the strengths of each and the unique position of that penusuila where as some slogan in the past said "on one side British America started, and on the other it ended."

The lack of visibility of any "Jamestowne Joy" at this point is most puzzling to me.  Every now and then there is an article in local papers.  But I have not found any comprehensive plan or program by the Commonwealth of Virginia.  And certainly there is no "joy" or excitement about the upcoming celebration.  And as near as I can tell, the venerable Jamestowne Society has brought very little to the table other than some scheme to disinter Pocohantas and bring her remains back to America.

My feeling at this point re celebration of the quadracentennial of Jamestowne is that IF the original Jamestowne project had been managed as ..............uh........ well, I'd better not since it is not politically correct.  Contact me off-group if you want it.

I say this in the light of just having heard an outstanding presention by Bly Straube on Jamestowne and what they are finding.  Maybe she should be given a battlefield commission to get the 2007 Jamestowne cart out of the ditch and moving.

Randy Cabell