From:
Tom Costa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:15:00 -0400
I would like to invite Va-histers to visit my website, a collection of
runaway slave and servant ads from 18th-century Virginia newspapers.
Compiled
and marked up in collaboration with the Virginia Center for Digital
History
and the Electronic Text Center at UVA, the site at this time contains
nearly
1600 ads for runaways in Virginia up to 1775. It's very much an ongoing
project and we eventually plan to include ads through 1800.
    You can access what we have so far at
http://www.wise.virginia.edu/history/runaways/index.html
    The ads can be browsed by decade or searched for specific terms,
name of
runaway, name of subscriber, etc.
    Your comments are most welcome.
Tom Costa