From:
Melinda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:44:53 +0000
Loretta,
You are right.  It is intriguing to read all the messages on this subject and fascinatingly revealing.
The problem is, there were too many cruel, even sadistic, slave holders; and they-- when the horrible facts become known-- are held up as the evil people they were.  Many who owned slaves worked as hard as those they "owned" and treated them well.  Also, for some of those first-generation Africans who were brought to America
the situation they found themselves in as slaves to a reasonable (and sometimes kind) master may have been an improvement over what they had been through since their initial capture and resulting transport.  It is all so relative to individuals, and we cannot assume every European was satanic or that every African slave was mistreated.  That being said, there is no question that slavery in any form by any people is wrong, cruel and-- even taking the "times" into consideration-- many slave holders knew that in their hearts.  They were too desperate for labor and/or too cowardly to buck the established social set-up.  It is as wrong for people to say that slavery was not so bad as it is to say that every slave was badly treated.  There is evidence for both sides of the story; and, if you only take one side, that is not honest history.
My 2 cents, as I travel to Nova Scotia (and found a handy wi-fi).
--
Melinda C. P. Skinner
Richmond, VA

From: Loretta Kelldorf <[log in to unmask]>