From:
"Richardson, Darlene (NCA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:47:35 -0400
Chauncey Edward Spencer should definitely be considered.  He was the son of
Harlem Renaissance poet, Anne Spencer, was born and raised in Lynchburg, VA.
He was among the earliest African American pilots in the late 1920s and
1930s and was co-pilot on a flight from Chicago to Washington, DC that
proved to certain congressmen that African Americans could fly.  This event
helped to open doors that eventually led to the Tuskegee (and other) pilot
training programs for African Americans during WW2.  The story of the
Spencer-White flight has been told at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum
and at Tuskegee.  The Anne Spencer Foundation in Lynchburg has a wealth of
materials on him.

D. Darlene Richardson, Historian
National Cemetery Administration
Department of Veterans Affairs
810 Vermont Avenue (402B4)
Washington, DC 20420
  Phone: (202) 565-5426    Fax: (202) 565-4211
  Email: [log in to unmask]
  http://www.cem.va.gov