From:
Excalibur131 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:39:23 -0500
From: "Anita L. Henderson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 10:25 PM
Subject: Re: NOR-folk" vs nawffuk

> In a message dated 1/7/07 2:10:41 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>> We could go all day on the pronunciation of towns around Virginia:
>> Suf-fick; Porchmuth; yes, Glawster; Yawktown; Hen-reck-o; Warrick; Stantn
>> (NEVER Stawnton);
>> one of my favorites is Ham-n'Sidny (sort of like ham n eggs); Wihyum n
>> Murry
>> for the college...said all at once, like one word. Can anyone think of
>> some
>> more?
>>
> Dear Country Garden:
>
> It must be late or my Chicago origins are blocking translation.....what
> town
> is Warrick? ;-))
>
> Anita L. Henderson
> longtime dialect/etymology junkie!

Hi Anita,

I'm sure that Country Garden's reference to "Warrick" is none other than
"Warwick." Warwick River was Formed in 1634 as One of 8 orginal shires,
renamed Warwick County in 1642. Warwick County became extinct in 1952, when
it became city of Warwick. The city of Warwick consolidated with Newport
News in 1958, and took latter's name. Named after the Earl of Warwick and,
yes, we still refer to it as War-rick or War-ick, but never War-wick.

Tom
Eastern Shore & More Forum
http://www.easternshoremore.com/forum/