From:
John Philip Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:48:32 -0500
No, I am not saying that we were the victims of the sale of people. In 1600,
this was not unacceptable policy for any of the European countries or the
Arab countries or Arab people. Obviously, it was not unacceptable to the
Arab sellers or the African warlords who were selling their vanquished
opponents as well. It did not pay to be the losers.
This is the history of Virginia, the south and the USA. Sorry not to be PC.
But it is sometimes necessary to relate the facts as they occurred, not what
we wish had happened or are we trying to impose on our ancestors what we
know in 2107.
No the Europeans were responsible for their actions. Make the arabs
responsible for their actions. I was also saying that slavery has not
stopped in the 1870's no matter what the books say. Maybe the 'books' are
wrong. Virginia had slaves, so did Mass, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania. The
Quakers were partially responsible for the antislavery movement.
Slavery happened. It was wrong then it is wrong now. Whether it was in
Virginia then or as it is in Africa today.

John Philip Adams