Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:34:01 -0500
Steve--

Thank you so much for your clarification.  And yes, you and I are in fundamental agreement about the important stuff, even if we disagree in other places.

It sounds to me very much as if the story line being proposed by some in the Fortress Monroe debate is derived from the "new social history" of the 1970s.  This history is, in an important way, expressive of the best virtues of the American character.  (I think there is such a thing as a singular American character, and I think it is meaningful to speak of it because that character is derivative from the common, core public values inherent to the story of liberty that you and I both agree constitutes American public identity.)  The "new social history" places its emphasis on the notion that the lives of all people matter, and that all people contribute to the unfolding of history.  It is quintessentially democratic.  This is admirable!

It also, to my eye, distorts history, at least to the degree that it fails to attend to the institutional and cultural structures that empower some people, and dis-empower others.  At its worst, the new social history offers a mono-focus on the victims of power, without accounting for the processes that allowed some people to wield power to the detriment of others.  While I would agree with the new social historians that the human dignity of all persons is equal, I would not agree that all human stories are of equal significance (at least if the questions we are posing and trying to answer are about political processes, and especially about political processes in the past).  Some people are situationally empowered, others are not.  If, as historians, we wish to attend to questions involving why things worked out the way they did, we will need to concede that the actions of some people matter a whole lot more than the actions of others.  That is what it *means* to be empowered,!
!
 or dis-empowered.

The error of the 1970s-era "new social history" then was to fail to distinguish between the insight that, on the one hand all human lives possess equal dignity and deserve equal respect; and on the other hand the political reality that some people are lots more powerful than others, and thus their decisions are more wide ranging and politically significant.

An example of this, it seems to me, is the Holocaust museum in Washington DC.  That museum encourages empathy with the victims of the holocaust--a good thing.  But it fails to teach any political lesson about the present.  Indeed, to the extent that it dehumanizes the evil of the Holocaust, by elevating that evil to satanic, and trans-human, heights, it fails to drive home the fact that the Holocaust was the product of human processes and human powers.  And to the extent that it does that, it fails to drive home the critical point that it is entirely possible, and thinkable, for a Holocaust to occur in the United States; and that the central lesson to draw from the Holocaust is not merely that it was an evil thing, but rather that given the right ideological and institutional and political arrangements, it could happen again. To the extent then that the museum's pedagogy succeeds--that is, to the extent that it encourages identification with the victims of power, without atten!
!
ding to the political processes that allowed some people to misuse power for unjust ends--the Holocaust museum is actually a failure.  The evil it illuminates is so awful that my students disassociate it with human choices at all.  Hitler becomes a satanic, trans-human force, with no civic lessons to teach us in the present.

When we talk about the application and distribution of power in society, we are talking about politics, broadly construed.  The new social history sheds powerful light on the way in which structures of power can very often create injustice.  It pays less attention, too often anyway, to the political processes that allow that injustice to happen in the first place, or to continue in the present.

In the Fortress Monroe story, any telling of it *has* to acknowledge the place of self-emancipators--the men and women who emancipated themselves from slavery.  But that is not the full story, nor is it in my view the most important part of the story.  To my mind, our understanding of the great political processes playing out *must* also acknowledge the critically important participation of the politically empowered actors who drove them forward.  These actors were to some degree responding to the actions of the people on the receiving end of the injustice that was slavery.  But they were also responding to a much larger political conversation and argument about the ends and purposes of American liberty--and that conversation is only partly accounted for by the actions of the enslaved.  Indeed, the very ability of the self-emancipators to influence public events depended to some large degree on the willingness of politically empowered, free actors to publicize their stories an!
!
d use them for their own political ends.

The generations of scholars who have written since the 1970s have retained the best features of the "new social history" while also addressing the politics that created and shaped social institutions.  In the case of Fortress Monroe, to my view that means a proper acknowledgment of the role of the politically empowered white men who made emancipation a reality.  To the extent that those men wielded more power, I'd argue that there decisions are more important.

My points above are hardly new, of course, and have been articulated by others smarter and more articulate than I.  My thinking on this issue has especially been shaped by an essay written by Tony Judt, I think, called "A Clown in Regal Purple," sometime in the 1980s.  I don't suppose anyone here remembers the citation for that essay?

I look forward to the commentary here of my colleagues, especially Henry Wiecek, Jon Kukla, and Paul Finkelman, who I hope will offer their usual insightful thoughts to what I take to be a fundamentally important topic of conversation.  After all, at its most expansive, we are talking about the moral basis of public history, and the purposes for which we, as a people, appropriate and spend public money to sustain it.

Thank you again, Steve, for initiating this topic and for promoting it with your usual good sense.

All warm regards,
Kevin