From:
Jackson Jarl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:58:47 -0800
As I said, I work with an agency that serves people on
the autism spectrum. It is indeed a spectrum: Even
people diagnosed as having Asperger are different,
though they do share certain characteristics, such as
those you mentioned. Most, if not all, have other
traits that help make them individuals. Except perhaps
in certain extreme cases, the autistic traits are
mixed with others, with different degrees and variable
expressions of themselves and that mix defines the
person, along with personal experiences and the like.

I myself dispute the supports and even the particular
arguments Mr. Ledgin uses in making his case. However,
I suspend judgment on whether Jefferson was an
'Aspie,' as people with Asperger Syndrome sometimes
refer to themselves, as we cannot know short of time
travel and a formal set of evaluations. The
possibility remains open.

Everybody is different, including people on the autism
spectrum. That is why I am bothered by the apparent
implicit comparison made by Mr. Ledgin between
Jefferson and his own son, an adult with Asperger
Syndrome. Despite references to diagnostic scales and
the like, his determination is made as it was
inspired: By a supposed resemblance between Jefferson
and the young man.

The particular thing about Asperger Syndrome is that
it is not simply a "milder" form of autism, but a
different kind of disorder, one with some relationship
and resemblance to autism (including High-Functioning
Autism, which may or may not be a separate condition -
it is still debated). Was Jefferson an Aspie, we may
never know for sure.

Am I? That is what they tell me.