From:
Vincent Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:17:55 -0400
Colleagues:

It is my pleasure to invite you to the Library of Virginia for an
exciting evening program entitled, "Our Collective Memory: A Panel
Discussion on the Enduring Value of Archives."   The program will take
place at the Library of Virginia on Thursday, October 16, beginning at
5:30 PM.  We have an dynamic group of panelist who will discuss the
impact of archives on the present, the records we create today, and
continuing value of both to future generations. The panel includes:

*
        DeAnne Blanton, senior military archivist with the National
Archives in Washington, D.C., and co-author of They Fought Like Demons :
Women Soldiers in the American Civil War
*
        Dianne Swann-Wright, co-author of A Way Out of No Way and
project historian for Getting Word, the African-American Oral History
Project at Monticello
*
        James E. Wootton, executive director of the Capitol Square
Preservation Council

    Joan Echtenkamp Klein, Assistant Director for Historical Collections
at the Claude Moore Health Sciences
    Library at the University of Virginia, will moderate.

Following the session, around 7PM, light refreshments will be served in
the Library's lobby and the panelists will be available for book signing
and questions.  We hope that you will be able to join us for this
engaging and informative event.

There is free underground parking for Library visitors.  For more
information on this and other programs during Archives Week in Virginia,
visit the website at
http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whoweare/exhibits/archweek2003/index.htm

Sincerely,
Vince Brooks