From:
Patricia Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:57:14 -0500
Loretta and List,

Actually, brides giving the groom a ring is a pretty new development, definitely 20th century.  And, as John posited in his initial post, the trend of the groom wearing a wedding ring may have been begun and fostered by the "wedding-industrial complex," because, traditionally, men did not wear wedding rings.

Obviously the ring has come to symbolize various ideas in the last millenium.  During the Early Modern period, the early meaning could have been lost, and brides, grooms and their families may well have thought that the wedding ring symbolized the bride's being legally "covered" by her husband, i.e. "femme couvert."  From the Early Modern period through the nineteenth century various European countries held wives to be legal minors under their husbands' care and tutuelege, so perhaps they saw the ring as a symbol of the husband's protection of his prop...er, I mean, his spouse:)  During the Victorian period the ring was invested with many sentimental ideas, as uxoriousness triumphed as a bourgeois value.  Personally I'm crazy about my wedding ring, which we have personally invested with value.

Ain't history fun?

Pat Watkinson