From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:39:20 -0500
Va-Hist:

We're pretty certain that no virus has been transmitted through the Va-Hist
server. In fact, no attachment of any kind will go through the Va-Hist
server.

It seems very likely that our first deduction was correct, that however a
virus entered a computer, it causes that computer to send an e-mail to
somebody on its address list or replies to a message that was stored in the
computer, and it uses a subject line that is already there, too, making it
appear to be a real reply.

Some of those messages appeared to be replies to Va-Hist postings, but they
evidently weren't.

Some of the people whose computers were infected did not know about it until
we informed them that their computers had been sending out infected
messages.

Lucky me: We've got a virus detector in the Library of Virginia that's been
blasting the infected attachments.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us