From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:32:13 -0500
That's the thing- so much needs to be checked, IMHO. Was the quilt
story widespread, or just in one particular area? Among a few slave
families and/ or related plantations?  A few counties? There probably
aren't too many old folks with the memories preserved, left in the
area where the original story came from- has anyone hunted down the
elderly in that area and tried to get more information from them?
Maybe it wasn't a universal practice, but that doesn't mean it didn't
exist somewhere. Hmm, I don't know about "slaves not making quilts".
Why not? It was a good use of old fabric, shirts, skirts, dresses,
etc. Almost certainly not the fancy "Baltimore quilts" and album
quilts,  but this person needs to present his evidence that slaves
did not make quilts. They sewed. Clothes were made, old clothes were
repaired. Was there some reason they were not allowed to cut up old
items of clothing to make a warm bedcovering? Was there a law
somewhere? I'd be interested in knowing why this person thinks they
were not allowed to. No such quilts survived? I hope that's not the
case, in the warm, humid, buggy climate of the south not much in the
way of fabric or locally made furniture has survived the centuries.
For a long time the experts said the south had no fine furniture
makers. It was all from Baltimore, NY, Philadelphia, Boston. But they
now know that there were such makers, but not much of their work has
survived the climate and the wars. Williamsburg a few years ago had a
showing of such furniture, and there are now a few books out about
the subject. And I have noticed how disposable quilts seem to be. For
several years on regular trips back and forth to the Outer Banks of
NC I saw what looked like a very nice old quilt covering a piece of
farm machinery behind a barn. It faded and faded and then sort of
tattered away. I thought to myself if granddad had spent months
making a fine piece of furniture, it would be lovingly handed down in
the family. But the quilt grandma worked long and hard on ends up
covering a tiller. Or in a dog house, or in the bed of a pickup
truck, or torn when covering  a piano the movers are trying to get
out of the house. Then it's cut up and stuffed behind the washing
machine so it won't vibrate...

Nancy
former antiques dealer

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone