From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 11:06:40 -0500
Of course, Robert E. Lee freed the slaves of his father-in-law, George
Washington Custis (name?)  Lee was named in Custis's will as Executor.
Indeed, Lee had to request a safe conduct through Union lines in northern
Virginia to carry out his legal duties;  as the site of the legal action was
Arlington, Virginia which was occupied by the Union.

This demonstrates that Robert E. Lee was faithful to familial and legal
duties, it does not demonstrate that he was "...a great white man who freed
his slaves."

Understanding history requires more than passion.  It requires a diligence
for accumulating knowledge and considerable intellectual discipline.  I say
this not in regard to "amateurs" in history but in regard to Ph.Ds in many
other fields, who often assume that their mastery of their own fields means
that history is an easy nut to crack.
I find many more historical errors in scholarly papers written by folks in
other disciplines than by non-professionals interested in history.

Harold S. Forsythe