From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:30:00 -0400
Ox-Peckers are the analogue that spring to mind with the folks who
practice the gotcha-style of response. They're able to put out their
one little bit of info, which if phrased reasonably, all of us would
respond equably to. But with the stinger, they make for annoying
reading. Ox-Peckers are a bird that feeds on engorged ticks that
infest the hides of Cape Buffalo and other large bovines. They
contribute a useful service by removing the parasites, but can annoy
and severely irritate their host animals.

The major problem with Ox-Pecker posts is that the people making them
have such a narrow focus and knowledge level that they amplify the
intensity without an accompanying level of import. The genealogy
contribution was well phrased and informative, as opposed to those
with snippy asides.

Lyle Browning