From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:02:06 -0500
Brent,

    You are as proud of those who disagreed on this topic online as I was of
my students who debate this issue this morning.

    I was really expecting to have to close down the debate over a shouting
match, as I had to do last Friday with the debate over legalizing marijuana.
It didn't happen.

    I provided both speakers on each side of the issue with everything
posted on the topic from this list. In addition, they also did their own
research and undoubtedly sought help from elders.

    In my role of moderator, I did not challenge some of the historical
"facts" I knew to be wrong, but will weave them into appropriate lessons in
the weeks to come.

    One of the points made in favor of the flag as a non-racist symbol was
that it was unfortunately misused by the KKK and other racists groups. In
the rebuttal, the other side asked by this was not prevented by those to
whom the symbol is not racist. The response was "I wasn't around back in
1954", followed by remarks that the KKK was so powerful that it was
impossible for anyone to resist or protest against them without risking
death.

    An interesting point made, again in favor of the flag, was that slavery
wasn't so bad after all, that slaves had "more rights" under slavery than
after they were freed. As slaves, he said, they had the right to a house,
clothing, and food. These were lost when they were freed.

    Another point made in favor of the flag was that segregation was not
limited to the south, and that there were separate restrooms and drinking
fountains in California and in Northern States.

    Those who argued against the flag did nice presentations, but focused
mainly on the history of the flag and its coming into prominence with the
challenges to Jim Crow. They said that the history of the use of the flag in
the past fixed it as a racist symbol. They really weren't as well prepared
as the flag supporters, and I hope they learned something about the need to
prepare better for a debate and especially to prepare to counter any errors
in fact presented by the opposition.

    Thanks again to all who contributed information for this debate. I'm
truly sorry it led to a dispute online, but am, with Brent, glad it didn't
get down to yelling and cussin'.

Anne