From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2015 15:54:24 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

PRISONERS IN OUR OWN BACKYARD!

Please join us for the next meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond on Wednesday, March 18, with dinner starting at 5:30 PM and the meeting at 6:30 PM in the Heilman Dining Center at the University of Richmond.  Our friend Larry Arnold from Saratoga will present the story of the Convention Army, the British and Germans prisoners of Saratoga who spent part of their incarceration encamped at Charlottesville.  Larry is from the Saratoga area and a VIP at the park.  And a number of us can tell you that he really knows that story.  Details and the map link are at http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html.  Please bring a friend.

As a reminder, the 2015 membership tariff of $20 is now due.  Last year saw our highest number of paid members ever, at 72.  It’s your contribution that allows for the wonderful speakers that Bruce brings to us, as well as our yearly preservation donation.  Five dollars from each membership goes to that effort.  We will shortly be determining this year’s partner.  If you are unable to join us at the meeting, please send your check as per details here http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/directors.html.  Thanks very much.

Here’s information about an upcoming lecture at the Yorktown Victory Center thanks to Debby Padgett.

WELCH FUSILIERS TOPIC OF LECTURE

MARCH 24 AT YORKTOWN VICTORY CENTER

YORKTOWN, Va., March 3, 2015 – Lieutenant General Jonathon Riley, Ph.D., will speak at 7 p.m., Tuesday, March 24, at the Yorktown Victory Center on the subject of his book “‘That Astonishing Infantry’: The History of The Royal Welch Fusiliers, 1689-2006.”

General Riley, who earned a doctorate in Modern History from Cranfield University, served in the British Army from 1973 to 2009 and in the 1990s was commanding officer of the 1st Royal Welch Fusiliers, a regiment that dates to the 17th century and was present at the Siege of Yorktown in 1781.  The NATO Meritorious Service Medal and United States Legion of Merit for service in Iraq are among General Riley’s numerous distinctions, and he continues to work as a military technical advisor and visiting professor.

He is the author of 19 books, most recently “The Last Ironsides: The English Expedition to Portugal, 1662-1668.”  His book “Decisive Battles: From Yorktown to Operation Desert Storm” will be available at the Yorktown Victory Center museum store on the day of the lecture, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Admission to the lecture is free, and advance reservations are recommended by calling (757) 253-4572 or emailing [log in to unmask]

The Yorktown Victory Center, located at Route 1020 and the Colonial Parkway (200 Water Street), chronicles the American Revolution, from colonial unrest to the formation of the new nation, through film, exhibits and historical interpretation at a re-created Continental Army encampment and 18th-century farm.  For more information, visit www.historyisfun.org or call (888) 593-4682 toll-free or (757) 253-4838.

The Annual Volume 2015 from the Journal of the American Revolution is now available for pre-order.  Details are here at http://allthingsliberty.com/annual-volume-2015/.  A number of our members are included.  Check Todd Andrlik’s site for wonderful stories.  http://allthingsliberty.com/

A newly formed group at Fort Plain Museum in New York is sponsoring its first conference The American Revolution in the Mohawk Valley on May 1 –3.  Details are here at http://www.fortplainmuseum.com/.  Our own Bruce Venter will be speaking, as well as our friend Glenn Williams from the DC ARRT.  Glenn has twice presented to us.  Congratulations and good luck to Norm Bollen and Brian Mack, conference organizers.

And speaking of Bruce, we can happily report that his 4th Annual Conference of the American Revolution is filled to capacity at 110 people!  Great news for Bruce and Lynne - and for all of us.

Check how Mount Vernon is using lasers to better understand Washington’s home in this informative article at  http://news.yahoo.com/mount-vernon-uses-lasers-scan-mansion-down-nail-154147013.html

See you on March 18 to talk about Saratoga prisoners.

Bill Welsch