From:
Peter Bergstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:15:06 -0500
In general tobacco prices varied from county to county -- as well as from
year to year.  Sweet Scented tobacco -- which brought premium prices in
London -- was grown from York and New Kent northward across the York River
to Middlesex and the other counties on the south shore of the Rapphannock.
Northern Neck tobacco, Southside tobacco (anything from south of the James
in the 17th and early 18th century, and from the counties on the north shore
of the James (Warwick up to Henrico) grew Orinocco tobacco which was
generally favored by the importers in the Out Ports (any English port other
than London).  Orinocco was also the first choice of the Scots after the Act
of Union let them into the trade (1713).  Orinocco general was priced less.
You might say it was quality versus quantity since much more Orinocco was
eventually produced than Sweet Scented.

I have a huge quantity of price citations at home -- sorry I have to work
for a living -- so I can't give you a price off hand, but if you can tell me
the county, or at least the region you are interested in, I'll be happy to
see if I can come up with a price.