From:
Linda Lawhon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:00:53 -0600
Were there not Catholics amongst the French and Italian men brought
over to help establish vineyards?

"Here be also singular white grapes though rare to be found, yet
shall yt goe hard but I will bringe Mr. Chanterton to ye findinge of
them." "But, Sir, I must tell you by ye way, that Mr. Chanterton
smells too much of Roome (in ye territory whereof he served ye
Colonnessi) as he attempts to wroke myracles wth his Crucyfixe, and
to shew as much Zeale in mayntaining his sensless religion as he doth
professe yt wth blindness."
Kingsbury, Susan Myra. _The Records of the Virginia Company of
London, Documents, I, 1607-1622, Vol 3 Part A_, (1933. Repring,
Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1995) pp. 303-304

I seem to recall that APVA has found Catholic medals and such in
their excavations. So, I think a distinction needs to be made between
the first Catholics and the first Catholic churches.

Linda Lawhon
Old homemaker.