From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 06:24:04 -0400
I am told that the words to Negro spirituals were actually full of "code
words" which had meaning to the slaves re life, escapes, etc.

I wonder if there were similar ones in post Confederate society
immediately after the Civil War.  i.e. The Army of Occupation heard one
thing, but those in the "know" heard something more inspirational.  I
ask this in relation to the titles of Southern QuickSteps which I think
come from that era.

Bright Hope's QS
Children of Hyman QS (Yes, "an" and not "en")
My Native Land QS
The Small Recruit QS
Faded Flowers QS

These are interspersed with rather strange/sprightly QS settings of
mournful Southern favorites like:

Who Will Care for Mother Now QS
Let Me Kiss Him for his Mother QS
Wait till the War, Love, is Over QS
    and my favorite of all.....
Dear Mother, I've Come Home to Die QUICKSTEP !!

Randy Cabell

at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html.