Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:47:20 -0500
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Excalibur131 wrote:

> Hm-m-m-m, I don't know why I need to say this, but I remember eating figs
> right from the tree as a kid. Now-a-days you are lucky to find a fig
> regardless of where it comes from. (Although I do know of a couple "stashes"
> on the Eastern Shore.)

While I was at William and Mary back in the late 60s / early 70s, I'd
regularly raid the fig trees in the Governor's Palace Garden.  Since there
were always figs lying on the ground, I figured they weren't being
officially plucked by the CWF, so were free for the taking.  (Besides, I
was a starving student.)  Not the best figs in the world, perhaps, but
MILES better than the store-boughten dried variety.

I remember finding it rather sad that almost no one else seemed to
recognize the figs for what they were.  Imagine knowing only the squashed
brown over-sweet dried variety ...

Mario Rups