From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 23:34:45 -0400
Doing a bit more research O'Keeffe received much of her artistic
training at the Art Inst. of Chicago and the Art Students League in
NY. She stopped painting between 1908 and 12 when she attended a
summer course for art teachers at UVA. No mention of where she was,
presumably, teaching art during this period. It is only later that
she falls in love with and devotes her paintings to the SW. But with
all the other things one could spend time teaching why pick Georgia
O'Keeffe as one of only a handful of American artists? Is it the the
tenuous link to Virginia (she attended high school at Chatham) and
was "inspired" by a summer course at UVa?

There are times when the logic employed by those who write the SOLs
escapes those of us who have to teach them.

James Brothers, RPA