From:
"Terry L. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 13:59:02 -0500
	I’ve been intrigued for some time by an account given by William Dawson (2nd President of W&M) of Lenten instruction he offered in 1744.  As I read what he wrote to donors in London, he seems to describe a single class attended by a variety of people:

I employed our Youth; every night last Lent, in reading audibly, distinctly, and solemnly of this excellent Work [The Knowledge and Practice of Christianity Made Easy to the Meanest Capacities; or, An Essay towards an Instruction of the Indians; London, 1740], as the Understandings of the Hearers, in general were able to receive, and their memories to retain.  For beside the Scholars [W&M students, presumably the youngsters in the Grammar School], there were near 40 white Servants, Indians, and Negroes, who constantly attended.  And as many of these as can conveniently be present, daily report unto the House of GOD.

	Though Dawson’s language seems pretty clear, some I’ve talked to think it unlikely such an integrated gathering would have occurred in the Williamsburg of that era.

	Are there accounts of other gatherings, similar or dissimilar, that might help shape one reading or the other?

Terry L. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg Virginia  23187 757-221-3932

http://wmpeople.wm.edu/site/page/tlmeye/ <http://wmpeople.wm.edu/site/page/tlmeye/>

http://www.ecologyfund.com/ecology/_ecology.html <http://www.ecologyfund.com/ecology/_ecology.html>

      Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?.... Well, we can't afford both.   Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.
             --Groucho Marx, in "Horse Feathers."